Scarlett Wine Bar & Restaurant is one of the best wine bars of Bangkok. To ensure their standards, the cheese experts Gérard Poulard is summoned to Bangkok from France for the third time. He didn’t come here all alone, but the cheese collection Fromages de France 2016 also came along to excite your taste this May 9 – 24, 2016.
Scarlett has always been my one of the first destination for wine or drinks at twilight. Situated on the 37 floor of Pullman Bangkok Hotel G in Silom area, this Bar & Restaurant is decorated in a bistro style: cozy yet elegant. Here you can see Bangkok’s skyscraper with ease.Their terrace brings us to an outdoor area to get some fresh air while watching a sunset. Afterwards, one can enjoy modern french cuisine, wine from a huge chamber at different price from normal to the Super Premium, GrandCru standard. Always filled with young adults and tourists, this makes Scarlett become one of those wine bars that has a luxurious yet warm atmosphere.
Great Gastro received an opportunity to visit Scarlett again. This time, we also had a chance to have a talk to Gérard Poulard, which is a great opportunity for me to learn more about how to select the best type of cheese to match my favorite glass of wine. Not only serves as an ingredient, cheese is suitable as a company of wine as well.
The Prosper Montagné จาก Quality House Gérard Poulard is a world-famous cheese expert (aka. Maitre Fromager) since 1999, awarded from restaurants from 22 countries around the world. His talent in fermenting, selecting, and presenting the finest cheese to epicures and personage is guaranteed by winning awards along with his son: France’s most delectable exports, The Order of Agricultural Merit, or awards from Le Cordon Bleu France and The Prosper Montagné award from Quality House.
Today, Master Gérard has chosen 10 types of cheese from the Fromages de France 2016 collection for me and my colleagues from Great Gastro to try:
- Fourme D’Ambert : a member of the blue cheese family, this Roman-originated cheese has a strong taste and smell, and a cream taste.
- Brie Aux Truffes : this milk cheese with truffle is the king of cheese. In the 19 century, this cheese was considered the best cheese in Europe. It has a soft touch and a soft smell with a decent smell of Truffles.
- Pont L’Eveque : Dating back in 12 century, this French milk cheese is one of the oldest cheese from Normandie. Famous for its soft touch and cream taste, Pont L’Eveque is outstanding for its pale yellow colour while its rind has vermillion colour.
- Coeur de Neufchatel : An heart-shape cow’s milk cheese, Coeur de Neufchatel is originated from northern Normandie, This cheese is a soft, slightly crumbly and mold-ripened with a strong taste like Camembert, which makes it a perfect pairing for cracker and red wine.
- Camembert Jort : Created from cow’s milk in Normandie, this hard yellowish French cheese has a fruity smell and salty taste.
- Trefle Fermier Lerat : This cheese is made from raw goat milk originated in a southern part of France. Trefle Fermier Lerat is well-known for its creamy texture and soft melted from the inside.
- Saint Nicolas Dalmerie : founded in the village of de la Dalmerie near the Monastery of St Nicolas, this remarkable tasty raw sheep milk cheeses is melts slowly in your mouth and releases aroma of thyme and rosemary, typical aromatic herbs of France.
- Bouchon Sarment d’Amour : Produced in Ardèche. Sarment d’Amour has the shape of a wine cork, with a vine shoot in the middle. This unique cheese is famous for its rich and creamy taste, which share the same characteristic with New York Cheesecake.
- Banon : Another goat-milk cheese selected by Master Gérard is made in the region around the town of Banon in Provence, south-east France. This cheese consists of a fine soft white pate that is wrapped in chestnut leaves, which created a unique aromatic smell. It has an intense flavor, and milk-a-like touch which traditionally dipped in red or white wine before eat.
- Figou Fermier : Made from goat milk and is produced in the Limousin region of France. Mixed with Fig Jam, this cheese is outstanding for its sweet and sour taste with soft and creamy touch. Many cuisines uses this cheese as a dessert served at the end of the meal.
What Master Gérard brings us, this time, is totally amazing. His 10 unique kinds of cheese from a brilliant collection is an eye-opening for those who are not familiar with the cheese industry and a wonderful experience for cheese lovers. Each choice of cheese is varieties in taste, touch, and smell, in which it could be paired with different kinds of food and wine to enhance the flavour. Overall speaking, what Master Gérard prepared was very inspirative, for it opens a room of opportunities to explore more about the world of cheese together with a world of wine.
If you also a fan of cheese, do not miss this opportunity! Join us for an extraordinary cheesy experience at Scarlett or enjoy this unique set of cheese at home. We highly recommend this event for all of you! The price of cheese package are:
1 cheese : THB 180++ / 3 cheese : THB 450++
5 cheese : THB 750++ / 8 cheese : THB 1,200++
After an exquisite cheese event and an exclusive chat with Master Gérard Poulard , we went on through another delicious journey at Scarlett, which we will later present you in our next review. For this week, do not miss a precious chance to meet the Cheese Master and surprise yourself with a delightful cheese collection.